We love food trucks! The casual atmosphere and the great food just make them so much fun. We have wanted to check out the food truck scene in Chicago but unfortunately, not living and working in the city makes it a bit difficult. So when we heard about a food truck festival in Oak Park on a weekend we had to check it out. We managed to check out several trucks. Here are my thoughts, in the order we tried them:
- Tamales Spaceship: We tried the Picturesque which is Yucatan-style pork tamale with tomato-habanero salsa. It was fantastic! Delicious, flavorful pork wrapped in moist masa.
- Yum Dum Dumplings: We tried the Thai Chicken Basil dumplings which were good but not as flavorful as I had hoped.
- 5411 Empanadas: Gourmet empanadas. We tried the malbec beef which was a rich beef stew in a delicate flaky crust. It was delicious!
- Pierogi Wagon: We tried the braised beef and cheddar and potato pierogis. They were a bit dense and dry for my taste.
- Jerk: We tried the jerk chicken which was very tasty if a bit too spicy for me! But, the chicken was nicely grilled and very tender.
- Chicago Cupcake: We got three of these to go home (pictured). They were wonderful little treats to enjoy during the week! They are cupcake size cheesecakes. What a wonderful idea! We tried the Tahitian Vanilla, Chocolate and Red Velvet. The vanilla was my favorite as the rich vanilla infused every bite!
It was such a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon! It was particularly enjoyable since it wasn’t too crowded and was held in a church parking lot. So the little guy was able to walk around and enjoy the music and we even managed to snag a table to enjoy our food.